If you were asked, “Would you be my Executor / Trustee / Conservator?”, how would you answer that question?

Family members and friends are often asked to serve as the administrator or “fiduciary” of a Will, Trust, or estate of an incompetent person. These include the titles of Executor or Personal Representative named in a Will, Trustee of a trust, or Conservator of an incompetent person. Each appointment brings with it both liabilities and responsibilities that the appointee should be aware of in advance.

A “fiduciary” legally owns and has control of the property

The New MUTC and What It Means to You

Do you or your family members have a trust? 

Are you a beneficiary, trustee or other fiduciary?

The Massachusetts Uniform Trust Code went into effect in July of 2012 with the intention of streamlining the trust process and making it more user friendly. For many, this new code will change what you thought you knew about trust law.

Keep reading to see how the MUTC may affect you and your family.

You thought the trust was irrevocable?

Irrevocable trusts can now be changed or terminated. The MUTC…

Special Needs Planning: Use a Trust Protector as an Insurance Policy

We asked Robert Fleming, a colleague of Neal Winston through the Special Needs Alliance, for permission to republish his recent post on the topic of appointing a trust protector to monitor and manage a special needs trust for when you no longer can.

Planning for the lifelong care of a loved one with special needs is daunting. Even the most carefully constructed special needs trust can’t be expected to account for all contingencies. Appointing a trust protector can provide added security…